Sunday, November 8, 2015

Day One. WHERE IS MY SUGAR??!

Ok, so it's a Sunday and it's easy to start on a Sunday. We got up, I made cinnamon rolls for the boys and I had my coffee. I used canned coconut milk and the date paste I made yesterday for a bit of sweetener. Honestly, I can do without sweetener in my coffee, but I miss the milk. Since I am using almond milk sparingly, I am using the coconut milk. And it doesn't take the edge off the bitterness of the coffee. WAH! Right? By the way, the store bought almond milk is not ideal. So, that's why I am using it sparingly.

Anyway, the sweetener is just some dates and water blended til its the consistency of apple butter. Spreadable and smooth. I spent like $6 on this 12oz package yesterday. Today, I ran to Aldi and found an 8oz package for like $1.90. So, shop around!

Now, I had a banana before church and by the time we got home from the 10am service, I was starving and I made brunch for Curtis and myself. I went all out since it was my first official Whole30 meal, and again, it was Sunday and there was no rush.

So, I used the Zoodle maker (veggie spiralizer) on a potato and made some fried (in clarified butter) hash browns. Then I made scrambled eggs with a couple handfuls of organic spring mix salad mixed in, omelette style. I threw some sliced avocado on top. Followed that with an apple. BAM. Breakfast.

Since we ate late, I sort of skipped lunch. That ended up being a bad idea. I did have some Wholly Guacamole (awesome and compliant) and carrot sticks as a snack around 2:30. I was starving by dinner time and I ate a Larabar in the car on the way home from Kroger (yes, I go to the store a lot. I have this really adorable habit of always forgetting something even though I always make a list) for a spice run. Curtis offered to grill (and I never turn down that offer!) and he made steaks. I roasted fingerling potatoes and asparagus in olive oil, sprinkled with salt and used some of my Whole30 ketchup to dip the potatoes in. Ya know, to pretend like I was having french fries.

Tomorrow, I plan on having more veggies and protein. I am also teaching a barbell class tomorrow, so I know my body will be asking for protein. Definitely need more water as well. I tried to make almond butter, but I need an actual food processor. I have been making good use of my free month of Amazon Prime and ordered one that should be here Tuesday. Then I will make some legit almond butter. Today, I ended up adding a bit of almond milk, a few dates and some flax seed to try and make something that resembled almond butter. Really, it ended up as this super tasty treat that I snuck a few bites of after dinner when the sugar cravings were especially brutal.
That was my main challenge today. I am craving sugar!!!! I snack a lot on things like cheese and yogurt. Pretzels and Halloween candy. It was hard to not grab the usual quick fix of a Clif bar or yogurt. I really wanted cheese on my eggs today. I had already cut back on dairy and was starting to feel better. I am more interested to see how my stomach feels in the morning after a day of no dairy or grains or SUGAR. 

It definitely doesn't help that Blue Bell ice cream returned this week. I did buy some for the kids and Curtis and I had a couple of small servings this week since I did not start the Whole30 before Blue Bell returned to stores. I am beginning to think my real problem is dairy. I will stick with the Whole30 until I am sure of that. I am already thinking about Thanksgiving and trying to not be difficult at family gatherings. That will be 19 days into the Whole30 and I think by then I will have a better idea of what is bothering me. What I am saying is don't expect me to skip Thanksgiving, y'all!

I am really loving making my own sauce and stuff though. It's nice knowing what's in my ketchup and I am making mayo tomorrow. Below is the recipe and stuff you need for the ketchup. I will post the mayo one tomorrow after I make it. I am planning on making tuna salad for lunch. I will be boiling some eggs for the week to get more protein. 


Tune in next time for: Jodie Cries Over The Sugar Detox. 





1 comment: