Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Day Two - "Leg Sweats"

Ok, day two was harder!!!! I really felt the sugar withdrawals. I whined....A LOT. My husband alternately laughed and tried to tease me with cookies. I know that sounds mean, but he's mean. Ha!
See, honey, (if you even read this) I can throw you under the bus on here! I'll be sure to share your moments of "support" each day.

So, breakfast was the same as yesterday, except I had two cups of coffee and I used coconut oil to scramble my eggs instead of the ghee. You can see the "whoops that's too much salt" in the picture. I used a couple bites of salsa, but wasn't really feeling it for breakfast. This salsa from TJ's is compliant.  I had at least 2 bananas and an apple and mixed nuts (reduced salt ones from Trader Joe's) for snacks.

Lunch: I made tuna/egg salad with this Whole30 mayo recipe and a bit of organic mustard. I was at the height of my whining when I ate it, so I think that I thought a took a picture, but couldn't find one at the end of the day. It tasted like I wish I was eating ice cream. Make sure you buy tuna in oil, because the water packed tuna has soy in it. WHO KNEW? This is why we read labels!!

The mayo was fun to make though. Watching the ingredients emulsify into mayo was a fun little science experiment. I added fresh garlic and dill to it, since I am actually not a fan of mayonnaise itself. But, I am learning how to season things on my own instead of relying on pre-packaged items with flavoring. It's been a fun culinary trip for me. I love to try recipes and cook. I dream of having an enormous kitchen with two ovens and like 6 stove top burners.

Dinner turned out so well. I was completely taken aback by how great the chicken strips I made were. I use organic chicken breasts and cut them into strips. The breading was egg and almond meal. I put my pink Himalayan salt and smoked paprika in the meal to flavor the chicken. These things were so freaking juicy. Like, whoa. The kids gobbled them up. The broccoli I steamed with a bit of olive oil in the pan to keep it from sticking. Threw some TJ's garlic salt on it for flavor, and booyah. Dinner.

While I was cooking, I was feeling kinda icky and I jokingly asked Curtis what withdrawal symptoms feel like, insinuating he had experience. He said "What kind?" and I said "SUGAR WITHDRAWALS! But, I meant in general." He thinks for a second and replied, "Irritability....leg sweats...." I interrupted him. "Uh, leg sweats?! Like specifically your legs only?" He went with it. "Yes, like just your legs, ya know?" I was hysterically laughing - a sure sign that I was delirious without sugar in my body.

I did finish with a pineapple, banana, coconut milk smoothie. I needed something sweet and this ended up hitting the spot. I tossed in some orange juice (compliant!) about halfway through drinking it because I realized that's the flavor I was missing and I did not have any actual oranges in my house.

I went to bed FULL and happier than day one. I think the second day was harder than the first, but all in all, I felt like I had accomplished more after yesterday's temptation to give in.

I still really miss bread and pasta and quinoa, but I am sure the grains will return to my life after this challenge is over. I may seek out gluten free options. I have yet to pinpoint my tummy issues. I DO think the best thing that will come from this is breaking my sugar addiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment